The Reviewer's Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Explaining Rates in the Comments Box

Go down 
+7
sandemp
Camp Freddy
koshkha
helencb
darkspidey
Cat19
Sonia
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
hogsflesh

hogsflesh

Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm

I would hope that dooyoo would be willing to provide some clarification here. If people have to start rating only U or VU, then what's the point of having ratings at all?
Back to top Go down
hogsflesh

hogsflesh

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:18 pm

darkspidey wrote:
Im not Phillip and if they were kicked off they are no longer members are they so wheres the problem? The truth is no guides have been kicked off.

Guides have been kicked off. You know perfectly well who they are, just the same as you know perfectly well that payment is given out for reads, not rates.

Stop with the 'man of the people' schtick. You're not fooling anyone.
Back to top Go down
Sonia

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 4:21 pm

I don't think that the email they sent me was a circular because it referred to the fact that I had already had the same rate removed before and it included a link to the review that I was supposed to have revenge rated so I think it's more likely that they wrote the review just for this one case.

I don't think that it's wrong that dooyoo have questioned me about the rate, I think it's completely right that they act on all abuse reports, in fact I wish they had questioned me about it the first time and not just removed it (if they had I wouldn't have rerated it and I would have been able to justify my rate to them). I just don't think that people should be commenting on reviews with criticism (or even praise).
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 2:58 am

the response from dooyoo is...

Firstly, a comment is fine as long as it refers to the product OR the review. It's just the personal comments and or tit-for-tat that we want to avoid.

With regard to NU ratings, I wouldn't set a rule that all negative ratings have to be explained in the comments, or anywhere else. However, I do think that it's very helpful for a member to know why they received this rating, as it is fairly extreme to say that a review is of absolutely no use to a consumer.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 3:07 am

That's fair enough, but the email from Dooyoo to Sonia was a bit draconian IMO.

Oh, the irony.
Back to top Go down
Sonia

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:45 am

Extreme? Not if the review is of no use!
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 9:12 am

I think dooyoo are buildin up reasons to cull members now that their venture capital is running out. It seems that the churn maybe their core earner now. You do feel if you write a 1000 word classic you are pissing into the win on certain sections. The front page makes it clear today that feminine products are another core earn there and so boys have to adapt and get metrosexual to get in on the crowns. cyclops
Back to top Go down
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:01 pm

Going back to the topic of the use of comments boxes, I think it's a shame that some people seem to think the comments box is just there for them to perpetuate their pathetic conspiracy theories and leave comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the review at all.

I'm fairly sure that's not what dooyoo intended the box to be used for.
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:14 pm

'Comments'

The word is pretty ambigious, but the messenger has allowed for the more frivilous stuff to be sent another way so to take the pressure of the comments box some.... Im sure there are abusive and unndeeded comments from you and many other members in many peoples comments boxs but that is a democracy dooyoo should affordus. What would help is the mechanism to delete our own comments when we lose our rag.
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:17 pm

The guides and prominent members can now technically 'provoke' normal members into reacting in the comments box, which if dooyoo are coming down harder, is a concern. Again most of the abuse I have suffered has been from the same few members. I dont react because I know that annoys them even more.
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:28 pm

venture capitalists and dooyoo?
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes, they were bought out in june 2008 by a French media company, who kicked up 3.6 million Euros..
Back to top Go down
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 12:53 am

darkspidey wrote:
The guides and prominent members can now technically 'provoke' normal members into reacting in the comments box, which if dooyoo are coming down harder, is a concern. Again most of the abuse I have suffered has been from the same few members. I dont react because I know that annoys them even more.

Provocation? That's an interesting way to describe writing and posting a review and getting crowned for it. It's not like the writer has any influence over that latter process.

Picking on me and other members whose only sin is to get crowned is bullying - both of us and of dooyoo itself - is out of order. If you want to shout at dooyoo for what you perceive to be some kind of 'injustice' then take it up with them. Don't go leaving sarcastic comments on people's reviews trying to imply that there's some conspiracy.

If other people are abusing you on dooyoo then take that up with them - don't use me as a scapegoat.

Last edited by koshkha on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo - some of us do care about such things!)
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 am

At the end of the day the comments are fun and they should stay like that. We are all going to get stick there and if we take it too seriously then its not worth rating that person. To be fair no one has abused me this week and mayb edooyoos new policy is working. I will post up my review next Tuesday morning and cross my fingers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 3:50 am

If you want to be irreverant then use the PM system. Doesn't the comment have to relate to the review and/or product being reviewed?
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:04 am

Utter nonesense. The comment box is to build community spirit.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 4:33 am

darkspidey wrote:
Utter nonesense. The comment box is to build community spirit.

No, that's what the PM box is for. Ideally, the comments should be relevant to the review, because non-members can see them.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 5:13 am

darkspidey wrote:
We are all going to get stick there and if we take it too seriously then its not worth rating that person.

You didn't rate - that's part of the issue. You just turned up to leave a sarcastic comment and imply foul play.
Back to top Go down
Cat19

Cat19

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 5:15 am

darkspidey wrote:
At the end of the day the comments are fun and they should stay like that. We are all going to get stick there and if we take it too seriously then its not worth rating that person. To be fair no one has abused me this week and mayb edooyoos new policy is working. I will post up my review next Tuesday morning and cross my fingers Very Happy

What new policy?
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 8:54 am

I dont rate or comment on your work. Its not that exhilerating.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 9:21 am

darkspidey wrote:
We are all going to get stick there and if we take it too seriously then its not worth rating that person.

Why not rate them if you've already given them the read money?

I don't understand you, Phil. You don't play the system correctly, yet complain when the system doesn't reward you... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 9:25 am

I agree, it's pointless not rating the review when you've already given them the money by reading it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
Cat19

Cat19

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 am

darkspidey wrote:

What do you mean by "can now", hasn't the comments box always be there. The comments box is available and most members can and do use it at some point, so why make this unsubstantiated claim that it is guides and prominent members that somehow misuse it?

Most of the tiresome (IMO) behaviour I have encountered on dooyoo has been the same few members too. I guess you just can't see eye to eye with everyone in the online world any more than the real world.
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am

If you are in a position of power or influence on dooyoo and you know dooyoo are clamping down on iffy comments from members then you also know you are less likely to be suspended than the person-guide or prominent member- you go to war with so more likely to start that war. Your not whiter than white guys.
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 10:48 am

I have not met a guide who is in position of power or influence on dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explaining Rates in the Comments Box   Explaining Rates in the Comments Box - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Explaining Rates in the Comments Box
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviewer's Room :: Review Writing :: Dooyoo.co.uk-
Jump to: