The Reviewer's Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...

Go down 
+8
carcraig
helencb
SWSt
Sonia
Cat19
Bluebloodedscouser
Camp Freddy
hogsflesh
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cat19

Cat19

So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:23 pm

I think the point is that people do not search for reviews on items like mars bars, thus it does not bring people to the site.

I have honestly asked myself would I ever research a chocloate bar or a tin of tomatoes or a stick of chewing gum? The answer is no. However I would research a hotel, a washing machine, a laptop. And I think as a consumer I am fairly typical.
Back to top Go down
Sonia

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 pm

I have found that if you type the name of an item into google without searching for a review it does list dooyoo quite high up on some items. I don't know specifically about food items but the people who write those reviews do claim to have non-member reads. I personally would like to see food no longer reviewed on dooyoo but there must be a reason why dooyoo not only allow people to post food reviews but pay them for it and I can't think of any other reason except that non-members read them.
Back to top Go down
Cat19

Cat19

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:33 pm

I think that there are some non members who check out dooyoo review from the new review list just as we members do. I don't believe anybody really seeks out these reviews as they might do for other products. I certianly don't believe anybody's review of tesco value tomatoes will be pulling in readers six months down the line.

Dooyoo has never differentiated between categories historically and have not got round to changing payment policy, but there was not this volume of food reviews before they introduced the 50p per review. IMO the people who consistently write about food items do not give a hoot about writing useful review, they are just milking a system which is open to milking.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 5:05 pm

I think the most valuable member that Dooyoo could get would post a couple of above average reviews per day on topics that have real value for Dooyoo, then do a lot of reading and rating and commenting (all to a high standard, of course) around the site, reporting abuse and anything that might be out of place on the site.

That would mean that the rewards being paid out are actually earned. In terms of some of the churners, even those that are guides, I really don't think they're giving value to the site or to the members.

I've always said that there's more to Dooyoo than posting reviews and miles and I stand by that.
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 1:17 am

I think it's quite shocking that some of the Guides have received more rates than they have given.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 1:49 am

Keep in mind that Guides are also 'normal' people and may have been active on the site for a long time before becoming guides. That deficit between rates may be established over a long period.
Back to top Go down
hogsflesh

hogsflesh

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 2:32 am

Yeah, I was a member for over five years before I started guiding, and my interest levels waxed and waned in that time. Also, it took me several months after joining to even figure out that rating was a good idea at all - I was reading but not rating for ages.

I reckon about a third of the rates I've given out came from my most recent stint as film guide (which I did for a year - one third of my rates have come from one eighth of my time as a member). As long as a guide is doing the job properly, there's no problem.
Back to top Go down
carcraig

carcraig

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 3:13 am

I agree, as long as a Guide is reading regularly in their own category currently that should be ok. As someone pointed out, the figures will be affected by what happened before they were appointed so the stats cannot be taken in isolation.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 am

That's true, but I think it's reasonably easy to differentiate between those that have a "natural" reads deficit and those that are, to be perfectly blunt, churners. If guides are appointed as role models (I've no idea if they are, to be honest, but a lot of people expect them to be saints), then I'd prefer guides not to be churners.

Note: in my opinion there's a difference between churning and being prolific. A prolific writer will post lots, but also have at least a neutral read rate, whereas a churner just posts reviews.
Back to top Go down
carcraig

carcraig

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 am

This is NOT a dig at any particular members (although a number of recent events have prompted this) but is there not a case for suggesting that someone returning from a suspension should also have a 5 review per day limit for a period?

This would prevent them from swamping the site with all the reviews they have "stacked up" while serving their suspension.
Back to top Go down
Sonia

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 5:38 am

I think that would be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 5:53 am

5-a-day - isn't that the Government guideline on fruit and veg? Maybe the rule should be you can't post more reviews than the number of portions of F&V you've consumed.

We'd still get lots of drivel but think what nice skin and hair the writers would all have.
Back to top Go down
carcraig

carcraig

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:45 am

koshkha wrote:
5-a-day - isn't that the Government guideline on fruit and veg? Maybe the rule should be you can't post more reviews than the number of portions of F&V you've consumed.

We'd still get lots of drivel but think what nice skin and hair the writers would all have.

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 3:51 am

I see your point about the rating...perhaps I was being a bit harsh!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 7:12 am

carcraig wrote:
This is NOT a dig at any particular members (although a number of recent events have prompted this) but is there not a case for suggesting that someone returning from a suspension should also have a 5 review per day limit for a period?

This would prevent them from swamping the site with all the reviews they have "stacked up" while serving their suspension.

I like this, but perhaps the "restriction" could be tailored for each infraction or perpetrator?
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 am

Its an odd one. Their 50p per 150 word review was clearly to encourage churn yet this isn t. A contradiction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...   So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So new members can only post 5 reviews a day then...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2