The Reviewer's Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Combatting speed clicking?

Go down 
+5
helencb
Camp Freddy
sandemp
mattygroves
Cat19
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cat19

Cat19

Combatting speed clicking? Empty
PostSubject: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 5:30 am

Is it my imagination or did we used to have rating buttons at the top right of reviews as well as the bottom?

Well they are not there any more, perhaps this is to make it slightly harder to speed click, in that at least one would have to page down to the bottom of the page first! Well done dooyoo if so, might as well make it a bit harder.
Back to top Go down
mattygroves

mattygroves

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 am

Yep - Dooyoo Towers warned us they'd be going, for that very reason.
Back to top Go down
sandemp

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 5:47 am

Doesn't seem to have made that much difference though. Still had a review rated before I'd even had time to open it back up to read through!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cat19

Cat19

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:03 am

I suppose it still does not exactly take a long time to page down one inidividual review. But if you were speed clicking through hundreds every day, like some people seem to do, it would eventually slow you down as RSI kicks in. Smile
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:43 am

Maybe they should stick a time on the page so that the voting buttons don't become active until a certain time.

Perhaps they could even tailor the algorithm so that, for example, the buttons aren't activated for each minute per 600 words.

One obvious flaw is that some people (myself included) open a few reviews at once in different Firefox tabs, but for those that only deal with one reivew at a time, that would work. I think.
Back to top Go down
sandemp

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:46 am

But then it could end like Ciao, where I regularly find myself being told I haven't read a one-paragrapher when it only took 5 seconds or so to read it.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 am

That's why I was suggesting that this time out period corresponds directly to the word count of the review. If we assume the average person reads at 600 words per minute, then the buttons do not become active until enough time has elapsed that people can read the review… in my example (and those figures might be completely wrong), it's 10 seconds for each 100 words whereas the Ciao system seems to be set in stone.

Does this make better sense?
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 2:36 pm

it does, but everyone can offer separate windows, so I doubt it would solve anything, more like move the problem so people find an alternative work around (which they will invariably, if they are purely read/rate motivated)
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:33 am

Of course, just because someone leaves 2 minutes before opening a review and rating it doesn't mean they've read it. But I suppose a time out period could deter some people.

Dooyoo do seem to pick up on people who are serial speed clickers, so my personal view is that there's not really a need for a change.

The new layout doesn't make any difference really, perhaps as someone suggested in another thread it might be more useful if dooyoo removed the "average" rating so people couldn't see that before they chose their own rating....
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
carcraig

carcraig

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:34 am

I don't know about speedclicking but I was astonished to see that THREE people have rated over 7,000 reviews in the past thirty days. That seems a phenomenal number of reviews.....
Back to top Go down
Sonia

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:42 am

The new layout is annoying me slightly because I always go back to the top to rate...i'm not sure why. Maybe because I like to read the comments after reading the review. Now that the top rating buttons are gone I'm still going back to the top to rate except I can't because there are no rating buttons up there.

I don't think having the page timed would really help. People would just open up lots at the same time and still not read anything.
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:50 am

carcraig wrote:
I don't know about speedclicking but I was astonished to see that THREE people have rated over 7,000 reviews in the past thirty days. That seems a phenomenal number of reviews.....

I have read 7-8000 in about eight years study

I am ok with buttons on the bottom though, as I tend to use them more often than the top ones (plus the guide box is at the bottom so it makes more sense - for crown noms, abuse etc)
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:29 pm

I think dooyoo will pick up on 7000 rates in 30 days.....hopefully!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:54 am

I think dooyoo quietly tolerate some speed-rating to keep the site busy. But if the speed-rater offends on another rule break then off for 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combatting speed clicking?   Combatting speed clicking? Empty

Back to top Go down

Combatting speed clicking?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviewer's Room :: Review Writing :: Dooyoo.co.uk-
Jump to: