The Reviewer's Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When is a review not an opinion?

Go down 
+5
cmh4135
koshkha
Bluebloodedscouser
carcraig
Cat19
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
marymoose99

marymoose99

When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 6:24 am

This just sounds ridiculous! I'm currently writing a review which basically says that the hotel staff were unhelpful.....but they were unhelpful!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
helencb

helencb

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 7:33 am

I think it is ok to say hotel staff were unhelpful...as long as there is some (brief) explanation as to why.....e.g. they were unhelpful as I asked for help carrying bags and there was no one available. I think that statements such as The staff were unhelpful and XXX Bank stinks are the ones that need to be avoided....(and we have all seen those kind of reviews!)

The question about the "In my opinion" thread Cat raised has been put to dooyoo towers by Claire this morning. I hadn't read this thread at the time.

I hadnt seen the above statement before now until Koshka posted either. Seems odd it works in some areas and not others. Will get that part clarified ASAP.

I dont have a particular problem with the "facts" part, I think that is reasonable, and something we all do anyway. I.e. no one is posting malicious reviews for the sake of it.

Not sure I agree with the part about order numbers and the like - seems unnecessary, and for customer numbers highly inappropriate. The shop can contact the reviewer if it so wishes if the reviewer displays their email address, or if not, by signing up and sending a polite PM for details or even by contacting dooyoo and asking them to get in touch. Will ask for clarification !
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:50 am

I tend to write on feedback forms in hotels that they can expect to find a review on ciao in due course!
Back to top Go down
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 10:33 am

I have a username that's nothing to do with my real name because I don't WANT the restaurants and hotels to know that I am the person who wrote them.

In some cases it would be embarassing for me that they knew how much I love their business but more worryingly because I have no choice but to have to return to some of the crap places and I don't want people spitting in my soup (or worse).

I'm intentionally ambiguous about precisely when I went somewhere because I don't want to be identified. If newspapers can get away with anonymous hotel inspectors then why not review sites?
Back to top Go down
Cat19

Cat19

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 am

I think the request to add customer or order number in that new blurb is really going too far. People are writing reviews, they don't necessarily want to start a law suit over every bad restaurant experience, but if this new policy takes off nobody will ever write a negative review and the consumer is only the poorer for it.
Back to top Go down
cmh4135

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 11:28 am

(which is almost exactly hat I have posted on the guide group!)
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 1:28 pm

I recall reading a review the other day of a site which only allowed positive reviews....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   When is a review not an opinion? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

When is a review not an opinion?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2