The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 When is a review not an opinion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cat19

avatar

Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 47
Location : Hertfordshire

PostSubject: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:02 am

Just had the weirdest email from dooyoo HQ. Apparently it is not clear enough that one of my recent reviews is in fact my opinion. And I have to go through it and put "in my opinion" at the start of every sentence or paragraph, or something to that effect.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Because to take it to its logical conclusion nearly every sentence published on dooyoo would have to be modified in this way:

"in my opinion the film was boring"
"in my opinion the film was extremely interesting"
"in my opinion the room was too hot"
"in my opinion the waiter was rude"
"in my opinion the waiter was friendly and courteous"

Where would it end??

Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carcraig

avatar

Posts : 100
Join date : 2009-08-11
Location : Glasgow

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:25 am

scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebloodedscouser

avatar

Posts : 179
Join date : 2009-08-05

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:29 am

You are kidding right! I bloody hate the reviews that feel the need to actually right "My Opinion" in the title. The idea of doing throughout the review!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

avatar

Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 47
Location : Hertfordshire

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:30 am

carcraig wrote:
scratch

Quite.

I think it is a given that my review is my opinion.

But apparantly a statement such as "the waiter was rude" is no longer allowed unless one specifically says that it is one's opinion ... and additionally it needs to be provable. How many reviews provide proof?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

avatar

Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 47
Location : Hertfordshire

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 am

Bluebloodedscouser wrote:
You are kidding right! I bloody hate the reviews that feel the need to actually right "My Opinion" in the title. The idea of doing throughout the review!

No I am not kidding. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebloodedscouser

avatar

Posts : 179
Join date : 2009-08-05

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:36 am

Can someone query this on the guide group, that is horrendous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:50 am

I can see grounds for challenging reviews that might be libellous - for example on trivago we get a lot of 'The owner is a lying cheating bastard' and I always reject them and tell the submitter they need to give evidence to support that opinion to avoid risk of the site being libel for an attack from the owner.

But 'in my opinion' saying 'it's my opinion that it's a dumbass suggestion' is a step too far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cmh4135



Posts : 177
Join date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 am

Cat, is it the opinion on the LA hotel or another one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

avatar

Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 47
Location : Hertfordshire

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:02 am

koshkha wrote:
I can see grounds for challenging reviews that might be libellous - for example on trivago we get a lot of 'The owner is a lying cheating bastard' and I always reject them and tell the submitter they need to give evidence to support that opinion to avoid risk of the site being libel for an attack from the owner.

But 'in my opinion' saying 'it's my opinion that it's a dumbass suggestion' is a step too far.

Of course it is only libellous if it is untrue, if he is a lying cheating bastard then it should be ok. Very Happy

Seriously though, I know what you mean and I agree there is no place for comments like that. I would never write anything like that, the examples I gave in my first post are truly more representative of what I am referring to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SWSt

avatar

Posts : 31
Join date : 2009-08-07

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Cat19 wrote:
carcraig wrote:
scratch

Quite.

I think it is a given that my review is my opinion.

But apparantly a statement such as "the waiter was rude" is no longer allowed unless one specifically says that it is one's opinion ... and additionally it needs to be provable. How many reviews provide proof?

Is that the sound of backs being covered at Dooyoo HQ I hear? I suspect with the economic downturn some (in my opinion!) unscrupulous people are looking to take legal action for what they see as libellous statements and Dooyoo are running a little scared in the face of such actions and over-reacting. And in the example given, how exactly would the restaurant be able to sue? Unless they can clearly identify you from your review (unlikely) how would they know which waiter you were talking about? Or is the implication that businesses can now threaten to sue for any negative comments made in reviews?

I actually had direct experience of this a couple of years ago. Dooyoo contacted me to say that had received a complaint via email from someone connected with a company I had written a negative review about. Dooyoo said I could either leave the review up as was, or remove/amend it. They blathered on about the right of members to express their opinion and how they upheld this, whilst at the same time making perfectly clear that if I left the review unchanged or didn't revise it sufficiently, I would be on my own if the firm decided to take legal action

As it happens, I could have proved pretty much all of the statements in my review - I had copies of all letter and email exchanges, photographic evidence of the items in question. However, I decided to voluntarily withdraw the review because I didn't want the hassle.

What a shame Dooyoo seems to be bowing to this sort of pressure. If this is carried through, the site will end up like Have I Got News for You where every statement ends with ...alledgedly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

A few years ago, I believe that it was Ciao.fr who sold one of their members down the river and gave contact details to a disgrunted company who took her to court and got her for damages. I heard about it second hand but I believe there was quite a fall-out from it.

Maybe the hotel manager that I described as a cockroach a couple of years ago will be trying to hunt me down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:44 pm

To change tack and answer the question in the title, a review is not an opinion when it contains no analysis, judgement or experience - like those mobile phone reviews that are just copies of the manual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

avatar

Posts : 235
Join date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Oh deary me, this all sounds rather poor, to be honest. Isn't it a given that everything you post is your point of view?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencb

avatar

Posts : 292
Join date : 2009-08-04
Age : 49
Location : Near the Trent, East Bridgford, Notts

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:41 pm

it does sound like inappropriate pressure being put upon by someone who thinks they have power....


I must say Ihad the opposite experience a few years ago....dooyoo were happy to reinstate a review of mine as long as I said I would defend my statements in court...which I said I was, and it was reinstated in its entirety. I see no reason for a change in heart there.

I am happy to take forward on the guide forum however if you pm me the details...we cannot have corporations bullying individuals, and I for one do not want to see every statement being backed up in a ridiculous manner which is not conducive to solid review writing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cmh4135



Posts : 177
Join date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 am

It's raised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:06 am

I was just about to add a review of a shopping centre and saw the message below which I've not previously noticed - perhaps it's new or maybe I've just not added something that sparked it up before. Still I thought forum members might be interested:

"If you were unhappy with the service you received, it's only fair that the shop management know what went wrong with your order and be given a chance to correct it. We encourage you to enter your order number or customer number in the review so that the shop has the opportunity to contact you and resolve any outstanding issues.

Critique of the service you received is important in a review, however please stick to the truthful facts of the case and do not make any claims that cannot be supported by the facts. Otherwise, you may breach the dooyoo Terms and Conditions, which can lead to the deletion of your review.

Please remember too, that shops have the right to complain if they believe the claims made in your review are inaccurate. It is therefore prudent to archive any emails or other records you have that verify the facts as you state them in your review, in the case that the shop wishes to make a legal complaint."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carcraig

avatar

Posts : 100
Join date : 2009-08-11
Location : Glasgow

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 am

Where did you see that, Koshkha?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:29 am

My attempts to discretely avoid publicising the review I just added were too obtuse I fear.....

I've just added a review of a large outlet centre in the North West. When I clicked on 'write review' this came up at the top of the page above the box where you enter your text.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:34 am

I just clicked on 'write review' for three random stores in the shopping section and they all have this box.

I checked restaurants and hotels (since these are the businesses I most often slag off) but they aren't affected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

avatar

Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 47
Location : Hertfordshire

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:38 am

It will certainly be good to hear back from dooyoo towers on all this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

avatar

Posts : 235
Join date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:00 am

This doesn't sit right with me at all, if I'm being perfectly honest.

If something is awry in a review, isn't it up to the accuser to prove that the review is incorrect rather than the other way around?

The fact this is a wording issue strikes me that this is simply trouble-making and nothing more. I dread to think that others will look at this and start reporting this kind of guff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carcraig

avatar

Posts : 100
Join date : 2009-08-11
Location : Glasgow

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:04 am

I see it now......

Are you going to ask the PTB about it, Koshkha?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha



Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:08 am

carcraig wrote:
I see it now......

Are you going to ask the PTB about it, Koshkha?

PTB????? Sorry no idea what that is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carcraig

avatar

Posts : 100
Join date : 2009-08-11
Location : Glasgow

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:12 am

Powers That Be (sorry!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

avatar

Posts : 367
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 47
Location : Hertfordshire

PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:33 am

Perhaps one of the guides could bring this up in conversations they are already having, it seems loosely linked to the email that I had yesterday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: When is a review not an opinion?   

Back to top Go down
 
When is a review not an opinion?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Follow up review of the Gold Lion KT66's..... :}
» 3-D TARDIS Model Kit book review wanted
» Third Doctor & Sea Devil Review
» Review on set 8019 Republic attack shuttle
» Review: 8957 Mine Mech

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reviewer's Room :: Review Writing :: Dooyoo.co.uk-
Jump to: