The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is ciao still crap?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:44 am

Camp Freddy wrote:
koshkha wrote:
Camp Freddy wrote:

I might give it a go though. I've a couple of year's worth of excellent reviews that I could potentially cross post, .

Modest as ever I see! Laughing

What can I say, K. I am a superstar.

Fred adore

Let's just cut to the chase, Ciao keep chucking you off because your stuff is so outstanding that it demotivates all the other members and makes them want to give up there and then and that REALLY can't be good for the site.

Did I get that right? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:49 am

koshkha wrote:
Camp Freddy wrote:
koshkha wrote:
Camp Freddy wrote:

I might give it a go though. I've a couple of year's worth of excellent reviews that I could potentially cross post, .

Modest as ever I see! Laughing

What can I say, K. I am a superstar.

Fred adore

Let's just cut to the chase, Ciao keep chucking you off because your stuff is so outstanding that it demotivates all the other members and makes them want to give up there and then and that REALLY can't be good for the site.

Did I get that right? Laughing

That's not what I said, K. However, I shall be telling plenty of people that it's exactly what YOU said! Laughing

K's admiration for Fred adore

Anyhoo... I'm cross posting a review now. Let's see if K's observations are correct.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:56 am

You know I'm your biggest fan. Not that there's a lot of competition for the position.

My comments of course apply to 'normal' members and may not hold true for those who are either supernatural or famously bloody minded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 am

With regards to Ciao, I'm changing my mind...

Dooyoo is now much better to navigate and read and rate etc. This is horrible. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:31 am

Have a go at adding a suggestion - I bet that will really baffle you esp. as it's now called something daft like 'report a new item' or something like that.

A lot has changed since you've been away.

Once you know the new system, it's great and you can even post the review at the same time you post the suggestion either for instant publishing as soon as the approve the category (thus ensuring nobody will EVER steal your First Op Bonus again) or save it as a draft so you can control when it gets issued, make changes, add photos etc. It actually makes the whole 'draft' concept a lot more useful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 am

I'm not sure I like this idea of posting a review at the same time as adding a product though, K. It kind of removes the quality control and puts it in the hands of the Ciao Membership i.e. morons.

My commenting today has been top quality. Much more entertaining than anyone else's.

Suggestion adding was always an adventure anyway, having to hunt out the link, but it would only appear after you'd done like three site searches or something. D'oh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 am

koshkha wrote:

Once you know the new system, it's great and you can even post the review at the same time you post the suggestion either for instant publishing as soon as the approve the category (thus ensuring nobody will EVER steal your First Op Bonus again) or save it as a draft so you can control when it gets issued, make changes, add photos etc. It actually makes the whole 'draft' concept a lot more useful.

I tried that with a new suggestion, but my draft got lost in the ether.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:43 am

Camp Freddy wrote:
I'm not sure I like this idea of posting a review at the same time as adding a product though, K. It kind of removes the quality control and puts it in the hands of the Ciao Membership i.e. morons.

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear. The review doesn't go onto the site in any visible way UNTIL Ciao have approved the suggestion.

So no way to get some ridiculous category or something that's already in the database (in theory - they seem to be clueless about what they already have) added without the normal approval.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:44 am

Cat19 wrote:
koshkha wrote:

I tried that with a new suggestion, but my draft got lost in the ether.

Yes that baffled me at first - the draft disappears and doesn't come back until the approval has been done. Then it goes onto your draft list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:45 am

koshkha wrote:
Camp Freddy wrote:

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear. The review doesn't go onto the site in any visible way UNTIL Ciao have approved the suggestion.

So no way to get some ridiculous category or something that's already in the database (in theory - they seem to be clueless about what they already have) added without the normal approval.

That makes a lot more sense and appears to be areasonably sensible system. toppa

I wouldn't write a review without it being approved first though, inc ase it's wasted time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:49 am

Fair enough - but you could put some of your 'Excellent' reviews from dooyoo through the suggestions scheme since they're already written.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:51 am

Why are there quote moarks around excellent, K? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 am

koshkha wrote:

Yes that baffled me at first - the draft disappears and doesn't come back until the approval has been done. Then it goes onto your draft list.

Yes that is what happened, I always write in word first anyway but I had planned to carry on geting the draft ready on ciao whilst I waited for the suggestion to be posted.

As it was the first time I had seen the new system, I was a bit worried something had gone wrong and the product would go up and my four lines of draft and bullet points would be published before I got to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:59 am

Camp Freddy wrote:
Why are there quote moarks around excellent, K? Evil or Very Mad

Because it's a quotation
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencb

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:02 pm

wow, good interesting thread..I learned a lot there about ciao - I tend to cross post and run nowadays. Not tried to load a new suggestion lately, so didnt realise that had changed.

I never seem to benefit from the PF though, nothing in particular. There was a time years ago, when I was more active, that I tended to average £2 per qualifying review years back but then it seemed to drop right off. It is still buggy though I think....especially on the new in list, although that is mild compared to some of the monumentally weird bugs there have been in the past e.g. the mixed up GB comment and other funnies..!

I have always found the search facility far better, and the colours and so on, compared to dooyoo, although I dislike the new rating buttons.

I wrote a review about 4 weeks ago on dooyoo and ciao at same time. Ciao has had about 800 hits whereas dooyoo is just somewhere in the mid 100s...that is quite a difference (obviously a genuine need for that kind of review, it has been a long time since I had that many hits in a short space of time)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm

I make more money on Ciao than dooyoo, and I post less reviews there. I agree with everything koshkha has said, except about the new product proposals which I don't like. It meant that people didn't get alerts for my latest review (I think) and I didn't chose when the review was posted, but to be honest I think that;s just a glitch since it's a new thing. On the whole I think Ciao is fantastic. I don't think it's fair for people to make negative comments about Ciao when they don't really understand how it works. Although I love dooyoo, and probably spend more time there lately than on Ciao, Ciao will always be my favourite - being able to add photos to reviews is a big plus for a start....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:48 am

Ah the photos on ciao, don't get me started. I think it is a double-edged sword.

It is nice to be able to add pictures, especially in travel, although my pics are always too big so I have to spend ages shrinking them. But then if you don't add pictures, for instance I don't normally take pictures of my hotel room, you can get ticked off by some other members.

And then of course there are people who add pics of anything, like a Twix, which doesn't annoy me as I would ignore it but seems a waste of database space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:18 am

marymoose99 wrote:
It meant that people didn't get alerts for my latest review (I think) and I didn't chose when the review was posted, but to be honest I think that;s just a glitch since it's a new thing. ...

The way round that is to save the review as a draft - then you have control over when it goes out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marymoose99

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:46 am

I don't like saving a review as draft as then it shows the date I posted it as a draft. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does!

As for pics, I see what you mean Cat. I seem to have got resizing pics sorted, but yes it is a hassle.

I see your point about the Twix bar photos - I'm only guilty of doing that the once I think, but that was when I was going for Product of the Week with the Cumble Crunch bar so it was all a bit of a joke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
helencb

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:23 am

I have also been irked by other members comments about photos - particularly when i had a very slow internet connection last year - it was impossible to add!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:27 am

It's weird. Photos are an addition to a review, AFAIK, not a required part of one. Anyone that bases their rating on the presence or lack of pictures is not rating within the guidelines. IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 am

Camp Freddy wrote:
It's weird. Photos are an addition to a review, AFAIK, not a required part of one. Anyone that bases their rating on the presence or lack of pictures is not rating within the guidelines. IMO.

And your surprised? How many people even read the guidelines?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am

Probably not that many, K.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 am

Anyway... 21 ratings on my latest. Not that impressive. Non-member reads are 50 though. That's not bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:25 am

21 ratings is pretty good considering you've probably not rated anyone for years. An inactive member would struggle to get that on dooyoo without doing lots of rating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is ciao still crap?   

Back to top Go down

Is ciao still crap?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next