The Reviewer's Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suggestions

Go down 
+6
cmh4135
hogsflesh
Cat19
Dusky
helencb
Camp Freddy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 5:27 am

This is a pet peeve of mine, but why do people not understand the concept of "suggestions"?

Why do most people expect, nay, demand that their suggestions are added to the database? Also, why do people try to get stuff added that they know has little interest or value to the UK consumer?

And while I'm at it, why do Dooyoo let so much stuff through the net and only realise when it's on the site and reported by members or the guides?

Suggestions mad
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 5:51 am

This also drives me to destraction!

I think people expect or demand as they want to earn money, or they are often under a deluded view that their contribution is of interest to the wider public because one other member says they might try/buy said product/service.

Dooyoo used to be much stricter on product reviews in the old days. I realise this was in the days when it was impossible to add any suggestions and many of us drifted away, but it used to be impossible to get food added unless it was considered "gourmet" for example.

I asked a question about a spanish translation suggestion on the guide forum - it was already in progress, which I advised. The PTB said no, they did not want it, but it got added anyway...whichof course sends a mixed message to the member
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:18 am

Was it removed after the fact or was the member too quick to post their "review"? Dooyoo also seem to refuse to remove categories once people have posted in it.

I would suggest to Dooyoo that all suggestions can still be removed from the site, even if it's been added and even if members have posted in it. Should members and Guides take a look through the "recently added" list and report anything dodgy looking to Dooyoo?
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:29 am

I think they said they were removing it, although I have not checked.

Yes, using the new in list and reporting anything dodgy looking is probably good practice. Thankfully my category doesn's suffer the same as others.
Back to top Go down
Dusky

Dusky

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:04 am

Quick question. Can you still see the new products added? I can't fidn the link anymore. i think the suggestions of both Ciao and dooyoo have gone crazy due to the suggesting of so many very very similar products. at the lower end of the market.
Back to top Go down
Cat19

Cat19

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:06 am

I have always struggled to find a latest products added list. Where exactly is it?

Edit: posted at same time as Dusky, glad it's not just me then
Back to top Go down
hogsflesh

hogsflesh

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:08 am

Bottom of the homepage, next to the links to foreign versions of dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
Dusky

Dusky

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:12 am

Got it. Thank you. it used to be up the top by the new reviews but no its the stupid Dooyoo Loves! I'm off to have a look how many yogurt and crisp flavours have been added!
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 am

Food is definitely the worst area here. It really feels like the suggestions are done by members who just use their till receipt to add new products for a fast buck (and it is dooyoo's responsibility to stop it - although members could show a little personal integrity too. Shocked I would be mortified if someone I knew logged on and saw I had written food reviews. I am fine with expensive items that people do research - in fact a few people I know have commented they have researched a product and found my reviews..... Laughing ) Anyway, Dooyoo have already demonstrated that food reviews are not searched for items)

Food and Drink , as it used to be, gourmet only has some value. E.g. the Port question that Dusky just raised - as that is a special gift that requires some thought and it is harder to find those kind of reviews anywhere

The last two suggestions are about jars of beetroot. ASda and Baxter's crinkle beetroot respectively. I can't imagine anyone ACTUALLY researches beetroot before they go to Asda.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Dusky

Dusky

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Not me as i can't stand beetroot!! Seriously I've had a look through the new suggestions and we have 12 different suggestions for a brand of collectible stuffed toys,the history of the e Type jag, 57 varities of a certain manufacturer's baby food, half of the Nolan sister's and Debbie Gibson's back cataloger York Lesbian arts festival, individual primary and secondary schools 9shall we have every single one in the country just in case someone wants to write about their old school) and the piece dela resistance a category in speakers corner that does not make sense in English "What do you wanted to be when you grow up? "

The state of affairs for approved suggestions.
Back to top Go down
cmh4135

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 am

helencb wrote:
I think they said they were removing it, although I have not checked.

Yes, using the new in list and reporting anything dodgy looking is probably good practice. Thankfully my category doesn's suffer the same as others.

They did remove it with a PM to the affected member explaining that it was a mistake. They credited the member with 600 miles as compensation. Member was a bit peeved but accepted that. It's a poor show on DY's behalf though as they were aware of the suggestion and issue before it became live and somehow still cocked it up.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 2:28 am

Personally, I'd have preferred no milesto be given as compensation. Members need to learn what adds value to Dooyoo and what doesn't. People submitting crap suggestions should have them pulled from the site, irrespective of amount of reviews posted in the category without any compensation.

I suspect quite a few members know they're taking the piss with their suggestions and still go ahead. If that's a risk they want to take, then so be it.

Serial offenders should be fined miles.

Anyone that thinks their suggestion is borderline should contact a guide.

This isn't rocket science.
Back to top Go down
cmh4135

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 2:33 am

Not sure I agree there.

Yes, they might take the mick with the suggestions, but ultimately, if Dooyoo add them then they've a right to write in the category. It's DY who need to pull their socks up here. However much we guess we don't know their business model and what they do or don't value.

We point out what we see as miscreant categories... sometimes they are acted upon, other times not. Unless and until we get 100% strike rate in terms of knowing what DY want I think the onus has to be on DY not to add rather than the member not to suggest.
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:44 am

I think if Dooyoo realise their mistake early enough (say, within a week of the suggestion being added), then they should pull it without comp. Anything longer than can either remain on the site or the authors be comped.

I think both sides need to pull their socks up. Some members do really take the mick with suggestions and Dooyoo does add stuff that doesn't seem to have value or at least not enough to make it worthwhile.

Part of it is that some (or perhaps lots of) members still see Dooyoo as a consumer club and completely forget about the proper audience... the non-member.
Back to top Go down
darkspidey

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 6:40 am

Ive given up with two of mine and will now write about womens perfume and laptops Sleep
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 7:10 am

It's quite interesting looking at the amount of reads my reviews have got from outside dooyoo....my food reviews seem to get quite a lot of non-member reads which is interesting. Perhaps people really do stand in Tesco and research food products on the Internet on their phones before making a purchasing decision!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sis-cumbria.co.uk
helencb

helencb

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 7:51 am

you dont really believe that do you...................................................... Wink
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 am

Er....no! But I do wonder why people are reading them!
Back to top Go down
Dusky

Dusky

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

I see the suggestions format is now slightly differnt and more like Ciao
Back to top Go down
Cat19

Cat19

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 10:24 am

I really like the new suggestions format, what a shame it is not any quicker though! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:52 am

I like it, but still wish they'd removed them from the list once you've written the reviews.

Perhaps they'll take a leaf out of Ciao's book and be quicker now that Ciao do them almost instantly!
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 2:04 am

I'd far rather they took a bit of time and weeded out the crap suggestions than do them instantly and et any old cack on the site.
Back to top Go down
marymoose99

marymoose99

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 am

I've never suggested anything to Ciao or dooyoo that's been rejected, so that doesn't really affect the suggestions I'm making....
Back to top Go down
helencb

helencb

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 pm

ciao never reject anything, that's the problem....I remember a certain member putting forward some absolutely ridiculous suggestions as a test - and they got added!

What is even more alarming is they were then written in...!!
Back to top Go down
Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 5:00 pm

"Life, it's the name of the game..." LOL.

Dooyoo should reject more IMO, but don't. The database could be hugely streamlined (do we need a category for every single colour of iPod, for example?) but Dooyoo have some very weird ideas about what goes in their database that dilutes the quality of the database IMO.

Speaker's Corner and F&D could both be smited without too much grief IMO. I don't remember a consumer item being rejected since Dooyoo got rejuvenated, but I know a lot of SC topics are filtered out (and indeed, some of the guides have reported a few that have seemingly slipped through the net).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next