The Reviewer's Room

A place to discuss consumer review writing aimed at the UK-based opinion sites such as Dooyoo

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The techy support thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:28 am

Yes but I was never on about browsing speed. I was on about capepd downloading usage. My download speed is 1.7mb at the absolute tops and so throttled down to less than 412 kkbs, so we cant ever get near our 20gb usage. I dont expect bt copper wires to be quick but I do expect to be able to get near the 20gbs.

Last edited by darkspidey on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebloodedscouser

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:29 am

What are you using to download? Are you connecting via ethernet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkspidey

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 am

adsl/wirelss..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebloodedscouser

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:32 am

It will be the wireless that is slowing you down massively.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:33 am

darkspidey wrote:
you are confused with 20 mb. We are talking about downloading. Are you sure you should be doing this thread Neutral

Quit with the personal insults Phil. You're saying that you never exceeded your download "limit", but you've been "throttled". Allegedly. So are you complaining about the amount you can download or your download speed? You're mixing it all up. You're more concerned to be telling us that you've been throttled than actually explain what it is that's wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluebloodedscouser

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:48 am

Changed my router back to my old one and had to do a factory reset (pin in back job) but now my desktop can't find the router wirelessly (was before reset) and I can't connect wired because router is downstairs and behemoth of a desktop is up, any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:43 am

Hope and pray you aren't with BT.

It took me nearly 3 weeks, multiple calls to a bloody call centre of very polite but ineffective people, an expensive call out to a local IT guy and a lot of grey hairs (and almost a divorce) to get it sorted. But in that case it was actually BT who'd caused the fault and refused to admit it. Hopefully your problem will be easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencb

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 pm

ok not techy at all, but is anyone having problems logging on to facebook tonight?

I havent been able to log on at all since trying about three hours ago. I worry if I can't get on soon all my crops will be dead... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:06 am

OK so my Sony laptop which I bought in January has broken AGAIN.

This is the third time. It had a hard drive failure in April, then in August the power supply / battery stopped working i.e. couldn't charge it and the fan broke as well. This time I think it is another hard drive failure about to happen - a very loud whirring and clicking noise although it is hanging in there just about.

Sony have admitted on the previous two occasions that it is no fault of mine and have repaired it free of charge, I expect the same again this time as there is no damage to it.

But they refuse to provide a refund or replace it. They say they will repair it, however the warranty is up soon and if this breaking down every three months continues I will soon start having to pay for these repairs. This is outrageous is it not? It is reasonable to expect a laptop to last for more than three months isn't it? Today somebody even said to me "you bought a repair warranty". Well NO I didn't. I bought a laptop in January that just happened to come with a 12 month warranty.

Any advice peeps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camp Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 am

I would check with someone, Cat, like a consumer advice centre or something if you have one near you. Sadly, IIRC manufacturers are not under any obligation to replace if repair is a viable solution. Somewhere along the way, repeated hardware failure has to be looked at, possibly under the "fit for use" clause.

Writing a letter to someone at Sony computers might also yield results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencb

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:15 pm

i had a work laptop in 06 (toshiba) that had SIX replacement of system boards in the end. I worked from home so they sent engineer around to fix at home - was on first name terms with engineer, he even made friends in local as it was international footie time...

you need to kick up stink and reject under goods not fit for purpose i think.......a laptop should last a couple of years even with heavy use and you have not been lugging that one about with you....my last £400 acer was lugged up stairs and downstair daily in hotels for well over two straight years before it packed up...

sound s like, my toshiba, it was a lemon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SWSt

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:51 am

Did you buy it online? If online I think you are probably covered by the Distance Selling Regulations which puts the onus is on Sony to prove the item was not faulty at the time you bought it (as opposed to the onus being on you to prove that it WAS). If so, then as Helen says, the fact that they have failed to repair it three times points to it being not fit for purpose and you can reject it and at the very least get a replacement.

As CF says, check with a consumer advice agency, but Sony would appear to be on pretty think ground to me (incidentally, I've had run-ins with Sony's "Customer Service" before. Not pretty.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencb

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:31 pm

we have had a problem at work today with HP:

We bought a decent colour laser printer not sure when but say 9 months ago. it takes four ink cartridges at £150 each for HP brand via our stationery company (forget their name but one of the big boys) and they are about £72 for the non OEM variety, so of course we use those as it has reasonably heavy daily use

We now have a problem with print quality and our PA logged it today with HP and they didnt want to know as she said the cartridges were not theirs therefore they wont even speak with her never mind come out and fix it.....we have gone back to the stationery company to see where we stand, but I can see this one ending in tears, and I expect we will not be alone in this issue...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:07 am

SWSt wrote:
Did you buy it online? If online I think you are probably covered by the Distance Selling Regulations which puts the onus is on Sony to prove the item was not faulty at the time you bought it (as opposed to the onus being on you to prove that it WAS). If so, then as Helen says, the fact that they have failed to repair it three times points to it being not fit for purpose and you can reject it and at the very least get a replacement.

As CF says, check with a consumer advice agency, but Sony would appear to be on pretty think ground to me (incidentally, I've had run-ins with Sony's "Customer Service" before. Not pretty.)

No I didn't buy it on line I bought it in a Sony store. I have had an absolute nightmare with them this week, between us my husband and I must have made 20 or 30 phone calls, just to organise another repair. It has only just been collected and I called first thing Monday morning.

I sent an email to the UK MD today, my husband found his name on a forum and I guessed at the email convention based on general "customer support" email addresses. I have had a personal reply to say that it is being investigated so will see what happens.

The Customer Support service this week has been truly appalling, that has been more frustrating than the actual laptop breaking again.

I called four times on tuesday to say that the laptop has not been picked up, one of the calls was at 4.45pm and it is due to be picked up between 9 and 5. I ask them to check that DHL are on their way, they refuse because it is not 5pm yet. Absolutely would not budge on that and kept insisting there was still time. Of course nobody does turn up and when I tell them this at 5pm it is too late to re-schedule a collection for the next day because that has to be done before 5pm!! Evil or Very Mad

The rescheduled collection did not work either. We called DHL ourselves this time and they told us that they were not planning to come and pick it up as the paperwork did not arrive again (this was reason they did not turn up on Tuesday too). It took four phone calls to convince Sony that the collection was not booked properly, the first three all refused to do something before 5pm AGAIN, the fourth one did agree to pass us to a supervisor (the others refused even to do that) and the supervisor finally agreed to call DHL and arranged it.

I wonder when I will get it back.

NEVER BUY SONY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:28 am

On Wednesday I finally got a full refund on my laptop. Now I need to go and select a new one, but I might wait until the new year.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencb

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:40 am

I am happy with my acer, (the one Aaron recommended!) It's my second one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cat19

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:34 am

Yes, I dug my old acer out of the back of a cupboard to use for time being. Only reason I replaced it was because it is a bot old, slow and some keys don't always work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The techy support thread   

Back to top Go down

The techy support thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2